Saturday, December 11, 2010

What I learned...

I've been thinking all morning about the past 3 months... I think as time continues to pass I will look back and say that they were some of the most trying, most exhausting, most shaping months of my life thus far. But in a strange way some of the best...I think it is safe to say I have learned so much about myself, about the people in my life, and about the Lord than in any other 3 month span.

The word of the fall has been learning...getting back in the groove of expanding the brain. And my poor little brain has had more packed into it in 3 months than should be good for it! 1000 pages of Physiology, an entire body worth of Anatomy, all the ins and outs of the brain from Neuro and everything you need to know to be a PA =) But more than school knowledge, I have learned a whole lot about life. I am continuing to process...but I thought I'd go ahead and post my top 12 list of things I have learned (outside of book knowledge!)

1. I can handle more stress than I ever thought possible (the body is an amazing thing)

2. I can survive on less sleep than I ever thought possible (again, thank you body!)

3. I have some of the greatest support in the entire world...friends who will get up at 7am on their days off from school to pray for my finals. Are you kidding me?? That's nuts! Friends who keep calling even when I don't return calls. Parents who keep loving even when I am a lunatic. Friends who bring coffee from Athens, jelly from Asheville, leave notes on my car, bring snacks to my doorstep, write emails from Colorado, I could go on and on... I know I have said it before, but there isn't much that is more humbling than to have people come around you in some of your most time of need, when you are at your worst and know you have nothing to offer them...and yet they still love on YOU. That is Jesus, people. That is Jesus.

4. There is more to life than Young Life. I wondered if it was humanly possible. I love YL and have loved it so much for so long...I wondered if I could handle the void. It's been hard no doubt. I miss it like crazy. But the void is manageable and continues to feel right. Although I can't wait til the day I am back in the saddle again... and I still watch the clock on Thursday nights at 8:07 =)

5. Coffee is even better than I thought it was! It is a magic drink. I am thankful God made it!

6. I love learning. I love studying. I really do. I totally learned I am a huge nerd.

7. South College does it UP at Christmas?!?! Have you seen the place?? And if you think the outside is festive...please just walk inside...trees, snow, fake reindeer...I'm tellin you...it might be tacky to some...but it is TOTALLY my kind of place!

8. I love the female reproductive system more than I ever thought I would... OB anyone?

9. I hate the bones as much as I thought I did! Sick!

10. I'm even more of a perfectionist than I thought. I gotta chill out. =)

11. There are great and normal people in PA school! In fact, these people are amazing! The Lord has certainly been more than generous to provide me with people I look forward to spending most of my waking hours with every day.

12. But more than anything, I truly truly have learned the faithfulness of the Lord. More than I could ever communicate in words. I have known it more the past 3 months than I have ever known it. I have felt Him closer than I have ever felt him...carrying me, sustaining me. There have been days when he's pretty much the only person I talk to...and He's a really good listener. He continues to affirm my new journey and his story for my life...not by outward circumstances...but by inward peace. He has met me in my darkest hours and provided all that I need. That is by far the most thing I am walking away with from this quarter. And if that is the only reason I was brought here, I think it's enough. I will never be the same. I know Him more than I did before. And the more I know Him, the more I love Him.

He who began this good work in me...is faithful...and has (and will continue to) carry it on to completion.

Of that I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment